For directions click on
St Mary's church, the largest in
Nottingham, is one of the three city centre Anglican churches offering a
range of forms of worship from formal to informal. This is Nottingham's
mother church and was founded before the Doomsday Book. Look out for the
leaning pillars! The colourful Lion and Unicorn at the back of the
church show the long history of use for official celebrations. Robin
Hood is said to have come to St Mary's to challenge The Sheriff. Much
dates from the 15th century including the tower, vaulting and windows.
The church is along High Pavement in the Lace Market area and close to
Nicholas church, re-build in 1673, is the least formal of the
three churches and is the “Lively Evangelical church”. It may not be
open during the week, but all are warmly welcomed on Sunday at 9.00am,
10.30 am and at 7.00 pm. The church is on Maid Marian Way, not far from
The original church was demolished in the civil war to prevent Royalist
troops firing on the castle from the tower.
Peter's church is a mediaeval building in the middle of the
main shopping area with its worldly bustle. The tower and spire date
from the 14th century and the roof of the nave from 1480.
Barnabas church is the Roman Catholic cathedral just opposite
the Albert Hall and Nottingham Playhouse. Walk to the top of Maid Marian
Way and it is on your right at the bottom of Derby Road.